No matter which version of Dropbox you’re using — the free Dropbox Basic service or one of the paid tiers — you don’t have unlimited storage. This means you may sometimes need to delete certain files to make room for others.
You can delete files from Dropbox using a browser or the app, which gives you quite a bit of flexibility. And even better, if you change your mind after deleting a file, you have up to a month to restore it.
Here’s how to delete files from Dropbox using a Mac, PC, iPhone, or Android device.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
How to delete files from Dropbox using a browser
1. Using a Mac or PC, open the Dropbox website in your browser and sign into your account.
2. Click “Files” in the navigation pane on the left side of the window.
3. Locate the file you want to delete and hover your mouse pointer over it.
4. Click the three dots on the right and then choose “Delete” from the drop-down menu. Confirm by clicking “Delete” a second time.
How to delete files from Dropbox using your desktop
If you’re syncing Dropbox with your Mac or PC, deleting a Dropbox file is no different than deleting any other kind of file.
Just open the synced Dropbox folder on your desktop and delete the file you want to eliminate.
You may be asked if you want to delete the file “everywhere,” or just off your computer. If you pick “everywhere,” in a few seconds, that file will disappear from the online Dropbox server and any other devices you are syncing to.
How to delete files from Dropbox using the mobile app
1. Open the Dropbox app on your mobile device and tap “Files” at the bottom of the screen.
2. Find the file you want to delete.
3. Tap the three dots under the file and then, in the pop-up menu, tap “Delete.” Tap “Delete” a second time to confirm you want to get rid of the file. After a few moments, it’ll disappear from the Dropbox server and your synced devices.
How to restore a deleted file on Dropbox
If you deleted a file by accident, it’s easy to restore.
1. Open Dropbox in your browser and sign into your account.
2. Click “Deleted files” in the navigation pane on the left side of the window.
3. Click the checkbox to the left of a file you want to restore, and then click “Restore.”