Premier League clubs look as though they could be set to return to action next month.
Clubs in the top-flight voted in favour of a return to socially distanced training, phase one of Project Restart, last week.
And are now set to vote on implementing phase two of Project Restart when Premier League clubs meet this week.
However, when the Premier League does return, clubs will have to be aware of new rules that will be brought in.
Just a couple of weeks ago, the International Football Association Board announced a number of rule changes for when football returns after its coronavirus-enforced break.
The IFAB will allow teams to make five substitutions per match when football returns.
The move is to help sides returning from football’s coronavirus-enforced break and will come into effect immediately.
It will be allowed to be used in competitions scheduled to be completed this year, by December 31, and although temporary for now, FIFA says it will assess it with IFAB if it should be extended into 2021.
Teams will be limited to three opportunities during matches to make their substitutions – as well as half-time – in a bid to prevent unnecessary stoppages, the IFAB have confirmed.
Premier League clubs are set to vote on this proposal in the coming weeks, but the motion has already been passed and is being in the Bundesliga.
The IFAB has also tweaked its rules around VAR to allow competitions that were using the technology to stop doing so, if and when they resume their campaigns. .
“In relation to competitions in which the video assistant referee (VAR) system is implemented, these competitions are permitted to cease its use upon restart at the discretion of each individual competition organiser,” a statement from FIFA read.
“However, where VAR is used, all aspects of the Laws of the Game and, by extension, the VAR protocol will remain in place.”
However, the Premier League is unlikely to get rid of the technology right now.
And while the start of next season is likely to be delayed, that hasn’t stopped the IFAB from announcing changes to the Laws of the Game for the 2020/21 season, and below is a look at some of the main changes which were announced back in April.
From next season onwards, goals following accidental handballs will only be disallowed if the accidental handball ‘results in a goal or an obvious opportunity for the player and or their team to score a goal. (i.e. following the handball, the ball travels only a short distance and/or there are very few passes).’
“For the purposes of determining handball offences, the ‘arm’ stops at the bottom of the armpit,” the new rules state.
Kicking off with video assistant referees, from the beginning of next season it will be expected that the on-field referee will use the pitch-side video monitor whenever there is a subjective decision (at the moment decisions are solely taken by the video assistant referee at Stockley Park).
In a move that won’t please fans, IFAB has decided against giving supporters the chance to hear conversations between match officials during a VAR review.
Fans in the Premier League had hoped that football would follow in the footsteps of rugby and cricket and allow supporters to hear officials’ reasoning behind the decisions that are made.
Coronavirus is having an impact across sport in Europe, with football league schedules suspended in several countries, including in England, Spain and Italy. But what happens next?
– The Premier League clubs are set for more talks with a key vote over the next steps regarding training.
– We asked the fans what they want to see happen, following the suspension of football in the Premier League. Here’s what they said.
As of next season, a goalkeeper moving off his line before a kick is taken will only be punished if the penalty is saved by the keeper.
Should the penalty be missed, either wide, off the post or bar, or hit over, then the spot kick will not be retaken regardless of any movement from the goalkeeper.
Encroachment by both sets of players, regardless of the outcome, will result in the penalty being retaken.