This is the privacy statement of The Prism News, registered at London, United Kingdon.
This statement informs you of the types of personal data we collect when you visit our websites and how we process them. With this privacy statement we also fulfil our duty to inform you pursuant to Art. 13 GDPR.
What information do we collect?
- Information that you give us directly
We may collect personal information from you directly, e.g. when you submit manuscripts or reviews, sign up to receive information, use applications, or buy a product or service from us.
If you wish to receive newsletters about Brill products in your area of interest, please opt in by ticking the relevant box when registering for a sale or service, or click on brill.com/email-newsletters.
- Information from other sources
We may receive personal information about you from other sources, either available publicly, such as University websites, or made available with your consent. The types of personal information that we may collect from such sources include your name, professional e-mail and street address, and publicly available information such as user-generated content, publications, blogs and postings, as permitted by law.
- Information we collect automatically when you use Brill websites
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are required for a smooth operation of our website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our website, use a shopping cart or make use of the e-billing services.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognize you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalize our content for you and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Third-party cookies. Our websites uses several types of third-party cookies, and we do not control the operation of any of them. The third-party cookies which may be used include:
- Google Analytics
- If you use “Share” or “Like” buttons from social media sites such as Twitter, Facebook and Google+, cookies are placed by these social media sites
- Google Analytics
You can block cookies in your browser settings. However, if you block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our websites.
You can both view the cookies stored on your computer and delete some or all of them. However, each browser has a slightly different procedure for doing so. Here are instructions for deleting cookies in some popular browsers: https://www.pcworld.com/article/242939/how_to_delete_cookies.html.
How do we use your personal information?
We may use your personal information:
- to invite you to contribute to our publications
- to facilitate peer review and book or article reviews
- to provide you with products, services or information that you request from us
- to contact you regarding products and services which may be of interest to you, provided you have given us consent to do so or you have previously requested a similar product or service within a reasonable timeframe
- to respond to your queries or comments
- to improve our products and your experience on Brill’s websites
- to evaluate the use of the Brill sites, products and services
- to personalize your website experience, as well as to evaluate (anonymously and in the aggregate) statistics on website activity
Where we collect personal information for a specific purpose, we will not keep it for longer than is necessary to fulfil that purpose, unless we have to keep it for legitimate business or legal reasons. In order to protect information from accidental or malicious destruction, when we delete information from our services we do not immediately delete residual copies from our servers or remove information from our backup systems.
You can opt out of receiving communications from us at any time. Any direct marketing communications that we send to you will provide you with the information necessary to opt out.
Who do we share your personal information with?
As a general rule, we do not share your personal information with anyone outside of Brill. However, we may share your personal information with trusted third parties:
- advertising, marketing and promotional agencies to help us deliver and analyze the effectiveness of our advertising campaigns and promotions
- third parties required to deliver a product or service to you, such as a delivery or postal service delivering a product that you have ordered
- law enforcement or government authorities where they have followed due legal process to request us to disclose the information
- third party providers of services to Brill, such as data processing
Transferring personal data outside the EU
You should be aware that many countries do not afford the same legal protection to personal information as you might enjoy in your country of origin. While your personal information is in another country, it may be accessed by the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities in that country in accordance with its laws. Subject to such lawful access requests, we promise that anyone processing your personal information outside your country of origin is required to implement measures to protect it and is only entitled to process it in accordance with Brill’s instructions.
We take all reasonable precautions to keep your personal information secure and require any third parties that handle or process your personal information for us to do the same. Access to your personal information is restricted to prevent unauthorized access, modification or misuse and is only permitted among our employees and agents on a need-to-know basis. Brill uses industry-standard encryption technologies when transferring and receiving consumer data exchanged with our site. We have appropriate security measures in place in our physical facilities to protect against the loss, misuse or alteration of information that we have collected from you on our site. In case of a security breach we will inform and cooperate with the Dutch Data Protection Authority.
Your privacy rights and who to contactIf you have any questions, comments or concerns about how we handle your personal information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org . You have the right to tell us if you:
- don’t want to be contacted in the future by us
- would like a copy of the personal information we hold about you
- would like us to correct, update or delete your personal information in our records
- wish to report any misuse of your personal information
To assist us in dealing with your request, please provide your full name and contact details.