- Kanye West has applied for a trademark on Yeezy-branded cosmetics.
- The filing includes provisions for makeups, creams, hair gels, and even scented pine cones.
- Companies often file trademarks to protect intellectual property without actually selling products, but the move has sparked speculation of a possible Yeezy beauty business.
- The Yeezy sneaker brand was valued by Bank of America to be worth up to $3 billion on its own in 2019.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Kanye West could be getting into the cosmetics business, according to a new trademark application filed for his Yeezy brand.
In filings dated June 2 that were first spotted by TMZ, the entertainment mogul’s holding company — Mascotte Holdings — elaborated on plans for Yeezy-branded cosmetics, makeup, body glitter, skin creams, hair products, potpourri, and even “scented pine cones.”
Companies and people often file patents for products and businesses that don’t always materialize, and this wouldn’t be West’s first time exploring the idea of entering the beauty business. In 2017, he also filed trademark applications for a cosmetic line named Donda after his mother, which never materialized.
The move also comes amid drama in the celebrity cosmetics world. Kylie Jenner’s cosmetics line has raked in hundreds of millions of dollars for Ulta Beauty, but found itself at the center of controversy in May when Forbes accused Jenner and her associates of forging tax returns shown to the publication to bolster valuations of her company amid its sale in January to Coty in a deal worth $1.2 billion. Representatives for the Jenner’s denied Forbes’ reporting.
Kim Kardashian-West, West’s wife who also has a cosmetics line, said in October 2019 that the couple had banned their daughter North from wearing makeup until she’s a teenager, according to Buzzfeed News. The new rule from Kanye led to some disagreement, according to Kim, but she said she eventually came around to agree with it.
“I think and feel differently now, now that I’m Christian, now that I’m founder of a $3 billion organization and married for five years,” Kanye said in an interview.
West is the sole owner of his fashion company Yeezy, which sells clothes and footwear. The company expected to bring in over $1.5 billion in 2019, according to Forbes.
The Yeezy sneaker brand was valued by Bank of America to be worth up to $3 billion on its own in 2019.